Thursday, October 30, 2014

Mindful Words

Who was the last person you had a conversation with?  Was your conversation a positive or a negative one?  As I was sitting in the middle of a coffee shop a couple of days ago, I can't help but overhear the various conversations going on around me.  It was a small crowded coffee shop, so I had no control of what I could hear at that moment.  On my right, a well-dressed female was speaking into her cellphone, talking about how stupid someone was during the last time she saw that someone.  Behind me was an American and Filipino discussing a project with enthusiasm as they look into a laptop.  On my left, a small group of four was talking about how annoying and "maarte" apparently this other individual was, who I'm assuming was not present.  

It is a bit disappointing how much negative attitude people are projecting publicly compared to a more positive attitude.  Being mindful of our words can change how our attitude is perceived by others and can surely help change our situation everyday.  I have learned from one of my mentors that "what the mind tells you, the body will follow".  Consciously, I began eliminating or transforming some words that I would frequently use in conversation into more positive or proactive words.  For example, instead of saying "failure", say "learning experience".
Or instead of complaining about someone/thing that is late, think about what you can do productively while waiting.  True enough, as I use more positive and proactive words, I was able to get better results in my work and even have increased my number of clients!

When we become mindful of our words in conversation, it will also change people's impression of us.  Our words can easily affect our image to others.  When a beautiful woman speaks with more negative judgment, she doesn't seem as beautiful as she actually is.  On the other hand, a simple looking lady who speaks with graciousness and kindness becomes so beautiful that her presence can light up a room.

Mindful words are about becoming conscious of the words that come out of our mouth, how it affects others and the consequences of it.  It is important for each of us, no matter what background or work we are involved in, to speak with more mindful words.  When we do this, we can be more productive and build better relationships with the people around us.  So the next time you engage in a conversation, whether in a social or professional setting, be mindful of your words!  Who knows, the people who would hear you may be the key people to your success!


No comments:

Post a Comment